How are you are you able to watch YouTube videos, Netflix or Movies? It might be on your phone, desktop or tablet. Connecting devices to the Internet use amazing benefits but what exactly is the Internet of Things?
Introduction to Internet of Things (IOT)
IOT is the concept of connecting any device to the Internet and to other devices.
All devices in the network interact with each other to collect and share data. but I think this explanation is not satisfactory.
So let’s go ahead and understand what exactly it is?
Why IOT is necessary?
Why Internet of Things?
As a learner you should learn IOT. as it provides better scope for future data scientists as well as provides for promising career opportunities.
You can also build in the edge your own IOT for your home.
As the company executive, you should learn IOT because we’ll help you measure everything in the business.
You will get real-time metrics, actual data and header connectivity across industries. after will be in this course you should be able to explain the concept of Internet of Things comprehensive describe hardware, software and other connectivity building blocks of IOT describe design considerations pertaining architecture framework and interoperability explain the security considerations with IOT pertaining to vulnerabilities explain industry 4.0 enough to everything and social IOT and finally describe IOT framework in enterprises.
Hardware For Internet of Things
In the context of IOT devices, hardware can be divided into the two categories general devices and sensing devices.
The general devices do the embedded processing and connectivity for the platforms.
They are connected either by wired network or wireless interfaces.
They are the main component for data collection and information processing.
The current home appliances a classic example of such devices, they are controlled by a sensor. These sensors help solve common problems.
Apart from sensors, actuators are another important device in IOT that performs similar functions with different capabilities. They work as interface between sensors and machines and collect various information like humidity and light intensity.
This information is computed using the edge layer which typically assists between the cloud and the sensor.
They are the layers that store the intermittent transfer of information. finally, the backend server of the cloud, processes this information.
Both the sensors and actuators are the chief components of IOT.
The sensors measure temperature, humidity, light intensity and other key parameters of home environment.
Device Management Platforms(DMP)
The second most crucial aspect of IOT is device management platforms or DMPs.
The DMV’s are the platforms through which this assets interact with a software layer through network gateways.
DMP is come with various functionalities which include firmware upgrades, security patching and reporting of metrics. They also help develop alert mechanism.
Overall it is an important aspect of the management of the device penetration.
Connectivity blocks collectively considered as the backbone of an IOT setup. There are various connectivity layers like USB, Can Protocols and Modbus.
The next generation protocols of Wi-Fi are Laura and cig P. they can interface with any application or modules.
The entire landscape is called gateway architecture various ports are 232.485 from USB. They come with gateway architecture.
The device interface is important for the data transfer and enables digital transformation with third-party applications and systems communication protocols.
Let us try to understand the various communication protocols available to set up an IOT.
- The first is the satellite, this enables a cell phone communication through an antenna situated within 10 to 15 miles. they have a stable and universal connection.
- The second is the Wi-Fi, it provides internet access within a certain range and are an affordable option. it has well protected protocols.
- The third is the radiofrequency, it is the easiest form of communication. A few examples are ZigBee in sea wave, which use low-power RF radio. it consumes low energy which is very advantageous.
- The fourth in this list is RFID, it uses wireless electromagnetic fields to identify sensors and objects. Good thing about it is that, it does not require power.
- The fifth is bluetooth, which is useful for short term and short distance data exchange. It is present in every smartphone and has sensors.
- The final one is Near Field Communication or NFC, it uses electromagnetic induction and loop antennas. it comes with encryption as low-speed communication. and is used for short-range data exchange.
Future of IOT connectivity
The launch of new technologies like 5g, the 5g with low latency and higher output will increase the penetration of IOT.
5g cellular technology is supported by the network for virtualization even for the common use cases.
So, overall the delivery time is reduced with IOT.
5g and IOT are embedded technologies both can be sliced and diced for predictive analytics and real-time business decisions. 5g will help devices connect through a network with high-speed bandwidth.
Internet of Things Device Architecture
There are four layers in the device architecture.
- The base layer consists of IoT devices this includes all the components like sensors with the ability to sense, compute and connect other devices.
- Let’s move on to the second layer, which is the IOT gateway or aggregation layer. This layer significantly aggregates data from various sensors. these two layers form the definition engine and to set the rules for data aggregation.
- Third layer is based on cloud, it’s called processing engine or event processing layer. it has numerous algorithms and data processing elements. they’re ultimately displayed on a dashboard. this layer basically processes the data obtained from the sensor layer.
- The last layer is called the application layer or API management layer. it acts as an interface between third-party application and infrastructure. the entire landscape supported by device managers and identity and access managers which are useful for security of the architecture.
IoT Security Standard
Many individuals and organizations have contributed to create and set the standard. It covers the entire network and endpoint systems.
- It brings a structural approach with security controls in place.
- It provides a demarcation based on two uses for enterprise to build algae products.
- This standard has 85 detailed recommendations, a structured approach to convince any IOT ecosystem.
- It has a flexible framework addressing the diversity of the technology aligned to the regulation.
- It also has a risk modeling capabilities for any organization to choose from including endpoint ecosystems.
- The standard is Fleury, flexible and comes with the inbuilt risk assessments for any organization to adapt. over all it is an interesting standard and easy to get trained.
IoT Security Best Practices
There are many best practices in IoT security. let us look at some best practices pertaining to IOT hardware.
First of all, the hardware should be tamper proof. they should have undergone dynamic testing, specific data protection algorithms and should be updated on firmware and patches.
The network components must be authentic with encryption kernel controls and division of networks of the segment’s.
Other security measures include privacy protection for sensitive information and other regulations like safe harbor statements.
Internet of Everything: Value Driven
There are many value drivens to help the internet of everything. key drivens are employee productivity, supply and logistics, customer experiences, innovation and time to market asset utilization.
All the factors are tightly linked to generate a new revenue gains for any enterprise.
Time to market and innovation, this will help with a competitive index of the organization which will help discover MVP, reduce the cost of building and bring improvement in customer experience.
Asset utilization is the form of digital, physical and even smart assets, its discovery is the requirement for the establishment of the IOT ecosystem.
Supply chain is also a key value driven as assesses, the requirement appear out of everything.
Internet of Everything: Elements
In addition to the drivers there are significant elements. the element standard four buckets.
- The first is data, which encapsulate sending and analyzing data.
- The second bucket is the people, who are always connected and have contextual subject mapping with a real-time world for decision making.
- Third bucket is the things, which link people to machine with endpoints ivi addresses and sensors.
- The last bucket is machined to data, which talks with a business value in action iteration. Essentially building simple models to achieve corporate results.
Internet of everything: Growth Engine
The internet of everything comes with a growth engine for any organization.
It includes people for the most valuable resources.
People, process, things and data are the growth engine elements. it gives a company an edge in the digital transformation world. the data privacy and transparency mechanism.
It is important for every organization to follow internet ethics and compliance.
Fleet Management using IoT
The fleet management is a classic example of IOT in application.
- In this domain, IOT is mainly used to track vehicles from one point to another using IOT technology.
- The entire fleet can be monitored with a support of RFID chips embedded within every car.
- In the fleet the same RFID can also be used to track products such as consumer goods, electronics and food items.
- You can get real-time information on the routes that the fleet takes.
- There are obd devices that can be used to track vehicles behavior and performance including fuel consumption and mileage.
- This can reduce the Total cost and provide greater return on investment.
- According to a recent study, the IOT market will increase to 8.21 billion dollars by 2021.
IoT for Financial Services
Sensors linked artificial intelligence help the bankers to track all the activities in the backend.
The advancements of mobile phones and digital assistance along with 5g connectivity make the customer experience seamless.
First and foremost it is data, data is the new oil financial. institutions have structured and unstructured data of the customers. They can slice and dice the data for profiling segmentation, product launches and digital services enablement
The data can create a large economic drive and give rise to new business models like NFC banking, digital assistance banking and social media banking.
With this transformation Internet of Things provides competitive advantage to the banking insurance and financial services. while the end goal remains to help customers save money and give a bundle offer.
IoT Revolution in Industries
Let’s understand how IOT revolutionizes various industries with the advent of the Internet of Things.
There are many industries experiencing digital transformation such as financial services, healthcare, manufacturing, Communications, Energy, retail and transportation.
Peyote is initiated changes at all levels user infrastructure and large-scale applications. Analytics with real-time dashboard and IOT support allows informed decision-making for businesses.
This also means that IoT is introducing a new revenue model for enterprises around the world.